The Legal Metrology Wing of the department deals with implementation of following Acts and Rules.
- The Legal Metrology Act, 2009
- The Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011
- The Legal Metrology (General) Rules, 2011
- The Legal Metrology (Approval of Models) Rules, 2011
- The Legal Metrology (National Standards) Rules, 2011
- The Legal Metrology (Numeration) Rules, 2011
- The Indian Institute of Legal Metrology Rules, 2011
- The Chandigarh Legal Metrology (Enforcement) Rules, 2011.
- The Legal Metrology (Govt. Approved Test Centre) Rules 2013
The following services are being offered by the Legal Metrology to the Establishments/Citizens of Chandigarh :
- Stamping and Verification of Weights, Measures, Weighing and Measuring instruments used by the Commercial establishments.
- Verification & Stamping of Autos / taxi fare meters.
- Verification & Stamping of Weighbridges.
- Calibration/Verification of TankLorries/Flow meters used in the transportation of petroleum products.
- Stamping / sealing of dispensing units of Petrol pumps.
- Stamping / sealing of dispensing units of CNG/LPG pumps.
- Checking of net contents of LPG at bottling plant or retail outlets.
- Issue of licences for Manufacturing, Repairing and dealing with Weights, Measures, Weighing and Measuring instruments being used in commercial establishments.
- Registration of Packers, Manufacturers and Importers of packaged commodities.
- Checking, inspections and prosecutions of the commercial establishments found violating the provisions of Weights & Measures Laws and short delivery of the commodities.
- Checking of packaged commodities being offered for sale by the commercial establishments regarding their net contents in r/o weights, measures, volume or number and regarding the mandatory declarations to be made on the packaged commodities.
- Checking of commercial establishments regarding the overcharging above the MRP in respect of the sale of packaged commodities.